Friday, March 20, 2009

Love. Power. Peace.

    I cannot remember where I found this picture, but kudos to the photographer! I had it saved under the random folder of random photo's that catch my eye on the net. Very Inspirational!

    I am currently writing an essay (the last one mentioned previously) comparing the history, contemporary challenges and prospects for Somalia and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It is very disheartening considering that both of these are failed states and the amount of violence that is continually perpetuated. The colonial legacy in the Congo is particularly detrimental, as neo-colonial powers continue to extract resources (such as coltan, which is used in cellphones), revenues that do enter the country are often used to buy foreign weaponry which ultimately fuels internal conflicts. Somalia on the other hand is continually fighting separatist movements and has been in a state of anarchy for over fifteen years (with no governmental infrastructure). I will let you know if I find out anything optimistic for either.... 

    I try so hard to be optimistic! But as a political science/history student sometimes it is difficult when you are constantly reading all of the horrible things that have happened or are happening in the world. Perhaps we just need (A) more optimistic people (a reason to maintain my optimism) and (B) more Love. 

Anyway, enjoy the weekend! First day of spring today! Back to the books!

Love, Delilah

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel. Journalists are cynics too! I think it's harder sometimes to see the good all around. Perhaps it takes more effort.

    I'm sure you'll experience a more profound kind of optimism once you set off on your journey.

    ReplyDelete